Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sometimes Bad Ideas Don't Get Me Killed

For Christmas last year, I got myself a digital SLR camera. Finally, I'd be able to take awesome photos of things moving fast and catch the cats in hilarious moments as they failed to make their leap to the top of the bookshelf.

The first thing I did was try to take photos of lightning. I mostly stayed safe on the front porch of our apartment, but once we moved to the middle of nowhere, I had to come up with a new plan.

So of course when a fall lightning storm passed through, I found myself standing in the most moronic place someone can stand during a lightning storm. Yes, I stood in the middle of an open field. Something tells me the golf umbrella I carried would not have done me much good.

Near the end, the lightning was directly overhead and I could feel the ground shake from the strikes. Naturally, I thought Just one more strike and I'll go in, I promise. I did this for another half dozen strikes.

Fortunately, I survived and got some decent photos out of it.





I can't promise I won't be doing it again. God help me if we have a tornado.

No comments:

Post a Comment